Mid-way between London and the South Coast, and covering large parts of the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Beauty, Mole Valley is an attractive, predominantly rural district which includes the market towns of Dorking and Leatherhead. It is a wonderful place to live, work, do business and spend leisure time in.
Mole Valley District Council is a dynamic and progressive local authority known for effective partnership working and taking the lead on service transformation and new ways of working. This is currently evidenced by, amongst other things, a wide range of high performing services, an ambitious asset investment strategy and a major regeneration project, Transform Leatherhead.
Our purpose built open-plan offices have recently been refurbished. We are located opposite the Sports Centre which offers a swimming pool, sports hall, gym, aerobics studio and café and Dorking Halls, which provides a range of facilities including a café, cinema, theatre and concerts.
About the team
The team comprises six permanent staff (FTE), including five lawyers – most of whom trained and practiced in private practice before moving into an in-house role in the public sector. Our legal experience ranges from 5 to 38 years, with most of us also having worked in different industries before retraining as lawyers, which helps bring a different perspective to the work that we undertake.
We each tend to specialise on a particular area of law, but an ability to pick up and work on new matters is key – examples range from a commercial lawyer obtaining an urgent possession Order in respect of a traveller trespass, to a commercial property lawyer advising on an Order which may have been required to stop a resident with an infectious disease from leaving the country.
Each of us manage a mixture of transactional, advisory (contentious and non-contentious) and project/policy work. We have access to Practical Law (PLC) and use IKEN as our case management and time recording system and are keen to identify ways in which technology can help with managing work more efficiently. Subject to an initial assessment and being able to satisfy business needs, each of the team members are able to work flexibly.
The team’s personal interests range from singing to country walks or runs to ski ing.
• be a qualified Solicitor (England and Wales) with or entitled to a practising certificate;
• have knowledge and demonstrable relevant experience of litigation law, practice and procedure and ideally have experience in planning or other local government legal discipline.
• be a team-player who is pro-active with a can-do approach and be able to assist in the full range of local authority legal work;
• have excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively at all levels across the organisation, including elected Members, the Senior Leadership Team, Business Managers and external partners and stakeholders.
We want you to be the best you can be. Therefore, we promise to support you with our annual Performance and Development Review and identify training and career development opportunities.
• 23 days holiday a year (from April 2019) plus a further allocated day at Christmas rising to 29 days after 5 years’
• Scheme to purchase additional annual leave and eligibility for potential additional days through the flexi-time scheme providing the ability to take additional days off when the business allows
• Substantial employers contribution into the local government pension scheme
• Free parking
• Remote and flexible working. Laptops will be provided for all employees enabling remote working by arrangement with the manager based on the needs of the service.
• Wellbeing package including:
o Cycle Scheme
o Free eye tests
o Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
o Yearly flu jab
o Discounts at local shops and businesses, films and shows at Dorking Halls and at the café
o Ability to participate in targeted activities during regular ‘Wellbeing Weeks’
• Located opposite Dorking Sports Centre which offers a 6 lane 25m swimming pool, sports hall, gym, aerobics studio and café
For an informal chat about the role, please contact Tom Penlington, Legal Services Manager 01306 879354. Alternatively you can contact HR at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applicants: 28 February 2019 12 noon
Interview dates: 12 & 13 March 2019
This is a politically restricted role.