Groundspersons Gravediggers (Posts 06.006, 06.012)
Permanent, full time
Salary: £18,827 - £20,739 per annum
We are looking for pro-active, motivated and confident individuals who are looking to make a difference providing a compassionate service to the bereaved.
About us, Guildford’s bereavement service looks after two cemeteries, Guildford crematorium and eight closed churchyards. We are a small dynamic team who manage all the burial, cremations and related appointments for the borough. We are looking for two groundspersons/ gravediggers to work within the service. This role attracts a salary range of £18,827 - £20,739 per annum depending on experience and an annual leave entitlement of 22 days per annum plus Bank Holidays.
What you’ll do on a typical day:
- You would be working at one of the council’s two cemeteries (Stoke cemetery at Stoughton Road/the Mount Cemetery Guildford) or at the crematorium on New Pond Road maintaining the grounds at these sites including mowing, strimming, weeding and litter picking
- Preparation of grave plots and undertaking burials in accordance with all relevant procedures.
- Interacting with funeral directors, stonemasons and the bereaved and assisting with enquiries from the public.
- Assisting occasionally with cleaning duties ( i.e. the chapels) if required
- Assisting with relevant deliveries i.e. transporting fuel, grave shoring etc. between sites.
What you need to succeed in this role:
At a minimum, you will be able to demonstrate:
- A proactive approach, with good administrative skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with people at all levels
- Conscientious attitude and attention to detail
- Strong commitment to undertake relevant training
- Ability to follow written procedures and service standards
- An understanding of the needs of the bereaved and ability to act accordingly
It would be great if you also have:
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good organisational skills with the ability to take the initiative.
For an informal discussion about the role please contact Natasha Precious Bereavement Services Manager on 01483 444710 (please note I will not be contactable between 24th December and 2nd January).
Closing date: 13th January
Interviews will take place week commencing 21st January 2019.