This role has a starting salary of £7,491.67 per annum, based on a 12 hour working week.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated Library Assistant to join our dedicated team. You will be based at Godalming Library, you will also be required to work at Haslemere and Cranleigh Libraries.
Libraries are spaces for social interaction, learning and cultural experiences, acting as an economic enabler providing support for local communities and businesses. Surrey's libraries offer vital services to all members of their communities.
Rewards and Benefits
- 26 days' holiday (prorated for part time staff), rising to 28 days after 2 years' service and 30 days after 5 years' service
- Option to buy up to 10 days of additional annual leave
- An extensive Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) to support health and wellbeing
- Up to 5 days of carer's leave per year
- Paternity, adoption and dependents leave
- A generous local government salary related pension
- Lifestyle discounts including gym, travel, shopping and many more
- 2 paid volunteering days plus 1 team volunteering day per year
- Learning and development hub where you can access a wealth of resources
About the Team
Surrey Libraries hold a unique place in our communities. They provide universal access through a programme of reading, learning digital, health and wellbeing activities.
Our vision is for our libraries to become hubs of the community that all are proud of. With excellent customer service at its heart, we need people who share this passion to become more successful.
About the Role
There is something for everyone at Surrey's libraries and the same day never happens twice.
The library is many different things to many different people. Curious readers come looking for their next adventure. Students meet to revise for their exams. Families gather for Storytime and Rhymetime. Special interest groups share their passions and older people access resources and secure their bus pass. Library Assistants greet each person with a positive attitude and resilient approach to any request.
Customer service is at the forefront of the library service. They are busy, lively places to work requiring flexibility, creativity, and initiative. This could be helping someone with a reading recommendation, thinking up new themes for book displays, planning events or assisting people with information and virtual services. Maintaining, presenting, and processing book stock is also a major part of the role.
The role also includes leading craft events, Rhymetime and Storytime sessions, engaging with schools to organise visits and class assemblies, and assisting with or leading other activities directed at both children and adults. From time to time there will be a need for lone working or single staffing at this and other libraries in the area.
This rota is subject to temporary or long-term revision to meet the needs of the library service. This may include occasionally covering until 7pm. You may be required to travel to other locations to support the wider library network as required.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to upload your CV and answer the following questions. Please highlight your strengths and any transferable skills or experience:
- What are your motivations for applying? (150 words)
- What do you think good customer service looks like from a Library Assistant? (150 words)
- Why do you feel the library is important to the community? (150 words)
- What would you do to attract more people to the library? (150 words)
If shortlisted for interview, you will be sent interview questions in advance. You will be asked to share an idea for a library event and be asked to read a short story.
Please contact us for any questions relating to the role. This could be to discuss flexible working requests, transferable skills or any barriers to employment.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 03/03/2024 with interviews planned for 08/03/2024.
We look forward to receiving your application, please click on the apply online button below to submit.
Surrey County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Employer. A guaranteed interview will be offered to all disabled applications where:
- The candidate has evidenced the minimum criteria for the role through their application
- The candidate has chosen to share that they have a disability on the application form
Our application form and onboarding process will provide an opportunity to request any reasonable adjustments for the interview and/or the role.
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups.