The starting salary for this position is £43,923 per annum based on a 36-hour working week.
We're on the lookout for an exceptional individual to fill the important role of a Senior Transport Planner, to support the Transport Policy Team. This is an opportunity to make a positive impact in overseeing and orchestrating sustainable transport policies and programmes to enable more people to move around Surrey in healthier, cleaner, greener ways. To deliver our ambitious Surrey Transport Plan on our journey towards net zero, as part of the Council's Climate Change Strategy.
The role works flexibly through a mix of office, site, and home-based working with a requirement to be on site in either Woking and/or Reigate, as and when required. Travelling with sustainability in mind, you will also be required to undertake site visits throughout the County.
Rewards and Benefits
- 26 days' holiday (prorated for part time staff), rising to 28 days after 2 years' service and 30 days after 5 years' service
- Option to buy up to 10 days of additional annual leave
- An extensive Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) to support health and wellbeing
- Up to 5 days of carer's leave per year
- Paternity, adoption and dependants leave
- A generous local government salary related pension
- Lifestyle discounts including gym, travel, shopping and many more
- 2 paid volunteering days plus 1 team volunteering day per year
- Learning and development hub where you can access a wealth of resources
About the Team
The Transport Policy Team are championing and delivering cleaner, greener transport modes, through policies and programmes centred around place making, active travel, public transport, and behaviour change.
We work with National, Regional and Local partners, as well as engaging local communities to gain support to deliver sustainable infrastructure to meet our net zero targets.
About the Role
As a Senior Transport Planner, you will lead and manage team members, providing an opportunity to innovate and embed industry standard design, good practice, and our Healthy Streets guidance to drive the delivery of our active travel programme to its success. You will develop the team to realise the overarching objectives of our ambitious Local Transport Plan, contributing to Surrey's Greener future.
Strong Technical Knowledge: As Senior Transport Planner you'll be the driving force in providing transport planning policy advice to councillors and residents alongside providing excellent technical evidence and project management for scheme business cases.
Working with Partners and communities: Your skills in communication and building relationships will develop strong networks at a local level and, working collaboratively with Surrey's 11 local councils, internal and external partners to bring the wider community along. You will gain stakeholder support to deliver sustainable infrastructure and behaviour change.
Green agenda: Your decisions will be aligned with our adopted Surrey Transport Plan in line with our strategic priorities, benefiting stakeholders and Surrey residents, ensuring no one is left behind.
As a Senior Transport Planner, you will possess excellent communication and transport planning knowledge as well as the ability to engage and influence stakeholders at various levels. You will have strong project management skills, experience of contract management and be an inspirational team manager. You will have a track record of working in the environment sector, experience of meeting targets and delivering grant applications.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to upload your CV and answer the following questions:
1. Tell us about a significant project or programme that you have delivered, in line with a strategy or strategic objective.
2. Describe a time when you used your stakeholder management and negotiation skills to overcome a significant problem
3. Tell us about your favourite project that you have worked on or delivered in one of the following areas:
- Policy or Strategy
- Active Travel or Public Transport
- Behaviour Change or Health
4. Describe the qualities that you possess, that makes your application for this role stand out above other applicants.
Answers to these questions will be scored and used for shortlisting purposes. The full role profile can be found within the advert; please refer to this when writing your answers.
Please contact us for any questions relating to the role. This could be to discuss flexible working requests, transferable skills or any barriers to employment.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 25/02/2024 with interviews to follow within 2 weeks. We look forward to receiving your application, please click on the apply online button below to submit.
Surrey County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Employer. A guaranteed interview will be offered to all disabled applications where:
- The candidate has evidenced the minimum criteria for the role through their application
- The candidate has chosen to share that they have a disability on the application form
Our application form and onboarding process will provide an opportunity to request any reasonable adjustments for the interview and/or the role. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups.