This role has a starting salary of £11,100 to £13,876 per annum, based on a 16-20 hour working week pro-rata to £24,977.
We are excited to be hiring Kitchen Leads/Cooks to join our fantastic team to lead shifts in the kitchen at our busy outdoor learning centres. The team are based across our three centres with the following positions available:
- Henley Fort, Guildford, to commence March 2024 - 6 month contract
- Thames Young Mariners, Ham, to commence April 2024 - 4 month contract
- Year-round contracts at High Ashurst, Dorking with term time only option
Rewards and Benefits
- 26 days' holiday (prorated for part time staff), rising to 28 days after 2 years' service and 30 days after 5 years' service
- Option to buy up to 10 days of additional annual leave
- An extensive Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) to support health and wellbeing
- Up to 5 days of carer's leave per year
- Paternity, adoption and dependants leave
- A generous local government salary related pension
- Lifestyle discounts including gym, travel, shopping and many more
- 2 paid volunteering days plus 1 team volunteering day per year
- Learning and development hub where you can access a wealth of resources
About the Team
Surrey Outdoor Learning and Development (SOLD) is a provider of high-quality outdoor learning programmes. Our catering team prides itself on feeding our visitors homecooked and freshly prepared nutritious meals, just what is required after a day in the outdoors! Offering a delicious menu, the team can cater for a range of dietary needs. The dining experience plays a key role in the overall high-quality experience of our visitors.
About the Role
Your role will be to lead, support and motivate the team. Preparing, cooking and serving our guests, who range from school children through to adult groups. Each day is different, so adaptability is key to meet the changing needs of our groups and provide tasty, quality food. You will have good organisational skills, sound catering knowledge and experience in a busy kitchen.
From time to time, we deliver themed events which will bring your creative skills to life! Serving and cooking outdoors are all a part of these exciting events which add to the variety of this role.
Other areas of responsibility include staff mentoring, ordering, menu planning and stock control.
Shifts are usually 4-6 hours. Approximate hours are 7am - 11am for morning shifts and 3pm - 8pm evening shifts, Monday - Sunday. We can offer mornings only / evenings only to fit with individual circumstances and also interested to hear from people interested in working bank / ad hoc hours in this role.
To be considered for shortlisting for this position, your application will clearly evidence the following:
- Positive and motivating leadership skills with effective communication
- A holder of, or working towards, Food Hygiene Level 3
- Experience of cooking for large groups and catering for a wide range of needs
- Excellent planning and time management skills with ability to work using own initiative
- Positive and solution focussed
Please contact us for any questions relating to the role. This could be to discuss flexible working requests, transferable skills or any barriers to employment.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 10.03.2024 with interviews to follow.
We look forward to receiving your application, please click on the apply online button below to submit.
Surrey County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Employer. A guaranteed interview will be offered to all disabled applications where:
- The candidate has evidenced the minimum criteria for the role through their application
- The candidate has chosen to share that they have a disability on the application form
Our application form and onboarding process will provide an opportunity to request any reasonable adjustments for the interview and/or the role.
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups.