This role has a salary of £27,484 per annum, pro-rata to £34,356 based on a 28.80 hour working week.
This role is based at our Guildford Adult Learning Centre. Travel within Surrey to our other centres and venues will be a necessity, so you will be a required car user. There will be occasional evening and weekend work. We are open to remote working meaning you aren't required in the office every day and we would welcome a conversation with the successful candidate on what remote working may look like for you.
This is a 6-month fixed term contract.
We are seeking to appoint a driven and enthusiastic ESOL Assistant Curriculum Manager to lead a busy, dynamic and growing department delivering both non-accredited and accredited ESOL courses from Pre-Entry Level to Level 1. The provision is delivered face to face in the daytime at our Camberley, Guildford, Molesey and Sunbury Centres. We also have a remote evening offer.
Rewards and Benefits
- 26 days' holiday (pro-rata)
- An extensive Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) to support health and wellbeing
- A generous local government salary related pension
- Learning and development hub where you can access a wealth of resources
- Discounted Surrey Adult Learning Courses
About the Team
You will report to the Curriculum Manager who is responsible for ESOL, English and Maths and you will be responsible for the ESOL Skills for Life offer and delivery. Your role will be to ensure that the quality of teaching and learning continually improves against standards set by Ofsted and embodied in the Service's Quality Framework. You will join us with a proven track record of organising Trinity ESOL Skills for Life Exams and of planning and running ESOL Skills for Life IAGs which have led to the appropriate placement of learners on courses. Working in line with local and national agendas, you will ensure that our targeted course offer is inclusive and designed to raise aspirations and provide support to those in need.
About the Role
As the successful candidate you will lead our team of part time ESOL tutors. You will manage the selection, appointment, performance and support of tutors and devise and implement a training programme to address tutor development needs.
This is an exciting opportunity to:
- Support the Curriculum Manager with organising and further developing a broad course offer guided by the curriculum intent, to develop the ESOL offer across Surrey
- Lead and develop a team of tutors to delivery of outstanding learning experiences both remotely and face-to-face
- Support the Curriculum Manager with the ongoing programme planning process by grow and managing a mixed remote and face-to-face delivery programme
- Liaise with the Exams Office to ensure the smooth running of ESOL Skills for Life Exams across Surrey
- Accurately place applicants on ESOL Skills for Life courses through an IAG process
You will have the ability to generate high expectations, enthusiasm and commitment from all. You will be a well-qualified ESOL Skills for Life practitioner with a relevant degree and teaching qualification such as DTLLS/PGCE/CertEd/Level 5 Diploma in Education & Training and some evidence of leadership experience.
To be shortlisted to interview for this position your application will clearly evidence:
- A teaching qualification, relevant experience of teaching ESOL Skills for Life to adults and of a formal observation process aligned to an Ofsted inspection framework
- Experience of managing team performance, using your initiative, prioritising workloads and meeting deadlines
- Experience of successfully working within an Ofsted inspection framework to ensure a high standard of provision and care for learners
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and IT skills
- Full UK driving license and access to a vehicle for work purposes
Please contact us for any questions relating to the role. This could be to discuss flexible working requests, transferable skills or any barriers to employment.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 3rd March 2024 with interviews planned for week commencing 4th March 2024.
We look forward to receiving your application, please click on the apply online button below to submit.
Surrey County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Employer. A guaranteed interview will be offered to all disabled applications where:
- The candidate has evidenced the minimum criteria for the role through their application
- The candidate has chosen to share that they have a disability on the application form
Our application form and onboarding process will provide an opportunity to request any reasonable adjustments for the interview and/or the role.
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups.