This role has a starting salary of £33.54 per hour. We are excited to be hiring a new Conductor to join our fantastic North SAYS Choir.
The North SAYS Choir rehearses for 33 weeks each academic year during term time, on Saturday mornings. The choir is situated at Cordwalles School, Camberley.
The choir performs 3 times a year either on a weekday or at the weekend (one a term) at a range of public venues, often in collaboration with other Surrey Arts ensembles. There will be 1 informal concert at Cordwalles School, and 2 formal concerts per year. In addition to the 33 teaching weeks, an additional 4 sessions are paid for the 2 formal concerts (2 sessions per concert day for both the rehearsal and concert). 37 sessions in total are paid for each academic year.
As Musical Director, you will also be paid an additional 25% of your weekly session time for planning and preparation.
Rewards and Benefits
- Option to buy up to 10 days of additional annual leave
- An extensive Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) to support health and wellbeing
- Up to 5 days of carer's leave per year
- Paternity, adoption and dependents leave
- A generous local government salary related pension
- Lifestyle discounts including gym, travel, shopping and many more
- 2 paid volunteering days plus 1 team volunteering day per year
- Learning and development hub where you can access a wealth of resources
About the Team
This is an exciting opportunity for an inspirational choral director to join our talented team of experienced and committed teaching staff. The North SAYS Choir (Surrey Arts Young Singers) is a new choir for singers between the ages of 8 to 13 from schools in Surrey Heath and the surrounding areas. The North SAYS choir will rehearse and perform a fun and engaging programme, containing a range of genres including contemporary music, pop, musical theatre and film music.
You will join a team dedicated to "changing lives through world class arts". Surrey Arts is an ambitious and forward-thinking organisation that places young people at the centre of our work. We are committed to developing Surrey Arts as a genuinely inclusive organisation, and one that meets the needs of the whole diverse community of Surrey.
About the Role
As the Musical Director, you will primarily be involved with leading and conducting inspirational musical activities with children and young people. As the creative lead for the ensemble, you will work closely with a diverse team of music tutors. Responsible for organising rehearsal and concert schedules, you will ensure the voices of your team and all participants are valued and embedded into decision making.
You will be responsible for preparing and teaching an exciting, diverse and appropriate repertoire, and sharing this with audiences at a range of performances.
You will also work closely with the Music Centre Manager and Area Manager to ensure the smooth and inspirational running of the ensemble. There is also the opportunity to build a teaching portfolio with Surrey Arts within the North Surrey Area.
We are looking for a creative, innovative and experienced Choral Director with a passion for sharing the power of music with children and young people. You will be as equally passionate about sharing your knowledge and skills as you are to reflect, listen and develop your own practice.
To be considered for shortlisting for this position, your application will clearly evidence the following:
- Specialist music knowledge and choral directing experience related to the role and performing or creating music to a high standard.
- An outline of your experience and choice of repertoire when working with similar ensembles.
- Experience of working with children and young people in school, youth, or community settings in the UK.
- Experience of building strong relationships with students, parents, schools, and colleagues.
- Willingness to build a teaching portfolio in the local area, in addition to the role.
- Strong IT and administration skills. Planning and organisational skills with ability to meet set targets.
- Willingness and ability to travel around the county to meet the demands of the role.
Please contact us for any questions relating to the role. This could be to discuss flexible working requests, transferable skills or any barriers to employment.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 03/03/2024. We look forward to receiving your application, please click on the apply online button below to submit.
Surrey County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Employer. A guaranteed interview will be offered to all disabled applications where:
- The candidate has evidenced the minimum criteria for the role through their application
- The candidate has chosen to share that they have a disability on the application form
Our application form and onboarding process will provide an opportunity to request any reasonable adjustments for the interview and/or the role. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups.