This role has a starting salary of £27,897 per annum, based on a 36-hour working week. (These are full time positions; part-time applications will be considered).
We are excited to be hiring Social Care Assistants to join our fantastic Spelthorne Locality team. The team is based in Ashford, Surrey. The team offer hybrid working with the expectation of 2-3 days in the office. Please note during the initial induction period you would be expected to be office based 5 days a week.
Rewards and Benefits
- 26 days' holiday (prorated for part time staff), rising to 28 days after 2 years' service and 30 days after 5 years' service
- Option to buy up to 10 days of additional annual leave
- An extensive Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) to support health and wellbeing
- Up to 5 days of carer's leave per year
- Paternity, adoption and dependants leave
- A generous local government salary related pension
- Lifestyle discounts including gym, travel, shopping and many more
- 2 paid volunteering days plus 1 team volunteering day per year
- Learning and development hub where you can access a wealth of resources
"Working as a Social Work Assistant and later as a Social Work Student within the Spelthorne Locality Team has been an immensely rewarding experience, particularly given my transition from an accounting background. Initially, I had limited understanding of the intricacies of social work, but the welcoming and supportive nature of the team played a crucial role in my professional development. I received comprehensive training that equipped me with essential skills and knowledge. Furthermore, the buddy system implemented by the team proved invaluable, providing me with a go-to person for guidance whenever I encountered uncertainties. The management team's approachability and willingness to assist in any situation have been exceptional, fostering an environment conducive to learning and growth. This experience has not only broadened my perspective but also solidified my commitment to the field of social work". - Alfred Torson
About the Team
Spelthorne Locality Team is one of eleven locality teams working across Surrey to support our older residents and adult residents with physical disabilities. You will be working in the surrounding areas of Staines, Ashford, Sunbury, Shepperton and Laleham. We aim to promote people's independence and wellbeing, through personalised care and support that focuses upon their strengths, the outcomes they want to achieve and enables choice and control.
About the Role
As a Social Care Assistant, your role will be to assist qualified practitioners with a variety of tasks, including assessing people's needs and carrying out regular reviews. You will often be the first point of contact between the public and the service, gathering initial information and identifying the need for further assessment, as well as signposting people to other services.
You will work in partnership with individuals, their carers, professional staff in other agencies and service providers to support vulnerable adults and their families to identify and arrange services that meet their needs and promote independence, choice and control.
Social Care Assistants will hold a caseload of individuals and carers who will generally have a support plan in place that requires routine monitoring. Applicants will enjoy working with people and have experience of direct work with the public as part of paid or voluntary work, although they may have limited or no experience of visiting people in their own homes or care settings.
You may work with any combination, or all, of the following care groups: older people, people with physical, sensory, cognitive impairments, people with a learning disability and people with mental health problems.
You will have the opportunity to work on the new 'Discharge to Assess' model to support vulnerable residents leaving hospital settings in a timely and safe manner. This work will include working within hospitals as part of an integrated workforce of Health and Social Care practitioners with the aim of supporting our residents in their recovery in the community.
To be considered for shortlisting for this position, your application will clearly evidence the following:
- Understanding of Adult Social Care needs and any experience you may have in this area. It doesn't have to involve visiting people in their homes or in care settings.
- Your ability to manage a caseload efficiently, regularly monitoring support plans for individuals and carers.
- Experience of working directly with the public on the phone or in person.
- Your ability to build relationships with various stakeholders, colleagues, and the public effectively.
- Your IT skills with a willingness to learn to use a variety of software system.
Applicants must hold a valid Driving Licence to drive in the UK and have access to a car.
Please contact us for any questions relating to the role. This could be to discuss flexible working requests, transferable skills or any barriers to employment.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 18/02/2024 with interviews planned for the week commencing 26/02/2024. We look forward to receiving your application and personal statement, please click on the apply online button below to submit.
Surrey County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Employer. A guaranteed interview will be offered to all disabled applications where:
- The candidate has evidenced the minimum criteria for the role through their application
- The candidate has chosen to share that they have a disability on the application form
Our application form and onboarding process will provide an opportunity to request any reasonable adjustments for the interview and/or the role. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups.