Guildford Borough is a regional centre for leisure, business, education, retail and culture. Guildford is a thriving market town that has maintained much of its historic character and is a principal shopping destination with a vibrant night-time economy. The town’s location provides excellent transport links as well as providing the balance of being surrounded by beautiful countryside, including the Surrey Hills National Landscape. All of these factors contribute to a quality of life that makes it one of the best places to live in the UK.
We want to appoint enthusiastic and committed officers to join our skilled Planning Development Management Service which deals with a wide range of planning projects with a number of competing constraints including Green Belt, Flood Plain, National Landscape and a significant number of Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas.
It is an excellent time to join Guildford, the Authority has an up to date local plan, with a keen focus on preserving the Borough’s heritage and landscape whilst ensuring that the Borough provides high quality homes and access to employment. You will have the opportunity to work on a wide range of application types including minors and small majors. You will also have the opportunity to assist Principal Planning Officers on major projects and support team leaders in ensuring developments benefit the Borough and help maintain it as an attractive place to work and live.
What’s in it for you?
We are a diverse organisation, delivering a wide range of services and employing people with a broad range of skills. We want to attract the best staff, so we offer excellent benefits, including: a competitive salary; flexible working arrangements; an essential car user allowance; private medical insurance, currently free staff parking, Hybrid working, cycle to work scheme, payment of one professional membership per annum, mileage allowance and training and development opportunities where required.
We also provide health and wellbeing initiatives, an employee assistance program and staff discounts off a range of well-known high street shops and supermarkets.
In this role you would:
- Be responsible for own caseload of applications, pre applications and appeals and ensuring all developments are of the highest standard, with robust decisions.
- Present applications to Planning Committee and meet with prospective applicants and provide planning advice.
- Provide planning advice to internal and external stakeholders
- Be able to work independently and within a team.
To succeed in this role, you will be able to demonstrate:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with people;
- Proven ability to give sound advice and guidance
- Have an open minded and positive approach
- Excellent ability to reason, process information,
- The ability to work independently and as part of a high performing team;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- The ability to adapt to change and use initiative; and
- The ability to devise, learn and adapt to new systems and processes
- A good team player
Degree in a relevant subject
RTPI membership desirable or eligible for membership
Interview date – 1st March 2024
If you do not hear from us within two weeks from the closing date you have not been successful on this occasion.
If you would like an informal opportunity to learn more about the role, please email John Busher Development Management (Majors) Lead email@example.com or Justin Williams Area Team Leader firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and post-holders to share this commitment. To fulfil this commitment we have robust systems in place for the safe recruitment of staff and volunteers.