The starting salary for this full-time, permanent position is £66,774 per annum based on a 36-hour working week.
This role is open to remote working meaning you aren't required in the office 5 days a week. We'd welcome a conversation with the successful candidate on what remote working may look like for you.
We are looking for a dynamic and forward-thinking Strategic Capital Accountant to join our fantastic Finance team. In this role you will be the Council's lead for capital financial planning and management, working with services to improve the council's capital governance and to plan, manage and deliver an ambitious £1.9bn 5-year capital programme.
About the role
You will play a pivotal role in the Council's Capital, Investment and Treasury Management Strategy and work closely with the Council's Treasury Management Centre of Expertise. Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Leading the annual capital budget setting process and the monthly capital budget monitoring process
- Advising and co-ordinating the activities of the Council's Capital Programme Panel
- Producing regular treasury management activity and prudential indicator reports to Committee as required
- Working across Surrey County Council and Tandridge District Council providing capital expenditure and capital financing advice
- Calculating the Council's annual Minimum Revenue Provision
- The accurate accounting of the Property, Plant and Equipment on the Council's balance sheet, including responding to external audit queries
As a fully qualified accountant, you will have knowledge and expertise in capital finance. Your sector background is less important to us - what we are looking for is an individual with excellent financial acumen combined with strong communication, relationship-building and influencing skills. You will be able to guide the development of a complex multi-year capital programme and have the presentation skills to enable a range of audiences to grasp the key financial issues.
To be considered for shortlisting for this position, your application will clearly evidence the following:
- Professional accounting qualification, or equivalent qualification plus experience at management level in a specialist area in a demanding business environment
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to apply technical local government accounting policy to practical situations
- Advanced problem solving and analytical skills
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 03/12/2023.
Interviews will take place week commencing 11/12/2023.
We look forward to receiving your application, please click on the apply online button below to submit.
From flexible working to job sharing (where possible) we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. A laptop and mobile will be supplied if applicable to your role. You will benefit from 26 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years' service, a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme. For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit our website.
Surrey County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Employer. A guaranteed interview will be offered to all disabled applications where:
- The candidate has evidenced the minimum criteria for the role through their application
- The candidate has chosen to share that they have a disability on the application form
Our application form and onboarding process will provide an opportunity to request any reasonable adjustments for the interview and/or the role.
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups.