The starting salary for this full-time, permanent position is £43,923 for working 36-hours per week.
We operate an agile working system that means we need to be available when required but with the flexibility to work from both council offices and home (or wherever we feel most productive). We regularly come together as a team at our office base in Merrow to collaborate and ensure team wellbeing.
Following a recent promotion we now have a great opportunity for a motivated and experienced Quantity Surveyor to join us in the Highways and Transport Service and make a valuable contribution towards improving our Highways network.
Who are we?
The Environment, Transportation and Infrastructure (ETI) Directorate is large and complex; responsible for ensuring the effective management, maintenance and improvement of all highway and transport assets in Surrey. The highway is the most valuable asset managed by Surrey County Council with a replacement value of approximately £7.5bn and is critical to the economic growth of the County. It is regarded by elected members and residents as one of the most important services provided by the Council. As such, the Service manages significant financial, health and safety and reputational risks.
We operate in an environment with significant political engagement and have daily contact with MPs, Cabinet members, backbench Members and committees. Excellent customer service is our standard, putting the customer at the heart of everything we do. We are directly accountable to elected members and residents to explain decisions and actions we take.
We offer a collaborative and supportive working environment where your skills and expertise will be valued and your contributions will make a difference. As part of our small, friendly in-house team of Quantity Surveyors, you will be involved in a variety of essential tasks, including:
- Price analysis, cost development and pricing of 3rd party contracts to design and build the Surrey Highways construction delivery programme
- Develop and maintain pricing schedules to deliver highway schemes including agreement on rates and star rated items, produce bills of quantities through 'take off' from scheme designs, produce estimated costs as part of the scheme development and undertake re-measurement of works to agree interim and final accounts
- Regular benchmarking of highway schemes to ensure client costs continue to deliver value for money
You will also collaborate closely with colleagues in our design and construction teams, including a Design Team dedicated to developing detailed design solutions and a Contract and Project Management team ensuring schemes are built in accordance with the contract, adhering to timelines, quality and budget. Your role will involve estimating and finalising accounts.
To be considered for shortlisting for this position, your application should clearly evidence the following:
- Professionally qualified to at least IEng certification (or alternative proven experience) and member of relevant professional organisation
- Substantial post-qualification experience in managing a wide range of schemes and projects
- Experience of successfully leading a team of professional staff in the design and delivery of highway projects
- Understanding of various contracts and contract conditions available, with knowledge of procurement best practice. Experience of administrating strategic partnership contracts and delivering large complex engineering schemes
- Substantial understanding and experience of cost estimating and project management
In this role, you will work and travel across the County to attend site visits and meetings. Therefore, a full driving license and access to a vehicle are essential. Occasional weekend and evening work may also be required.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 27th November 2023.
Interviews will take place the week commencing 4th December 2023.
From flexible working to job sharing (where possible) we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. A laptop and mobile will be supplied if applicable to your role. You will benefit from 26 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years' service, a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme.
Surrey County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Employer. A guaranteed interview will be offered to all disabled applications where:
- The candidate has evidenced the minimum criteria for the role through their application
- The candidate has chosen to share that they have a disability on the application form
Our application form and onboarding process will provide an opportunity to request any reasonable adjustments for the interview and/or the role.
We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups.