The starting salary for this role is £12.69 (inclusive of annual leave allowance) per hour.
We are currently recruiting Supported Learning Assistants (SLAs) to work at our centres in Sunbury, Guildford and Farnham.
Surrey Adult Learning provides a wide range of part-time day and evening courses to adults. Within this, the Supported Learning Team offers a programme of Entry level daytime courses designed to give adults with learning disabilities (LD) the opportunity to develop their independent living, personal and employment skills.
Classes are run in the north and southwest of Surrey and are located in our main centres (Guildford, Camberley, Farnham, Woking, Sunbury and Molesey) however we are currently only recruiting for the centres listed above.
Within the Supported Learning programme, the main purpose of the Supported Learning Assistant (SLA) is to assist the tutor with their responsibility for the management and delivery of the teaching, learning and assessment process.
Typical duties may include some, or all, of the following:
- Enable the learner to use specialist equipment
- Help with mobility difficulties
- Help to develop motor skills
- Break tasks down into manageable chunks
- Challenge learners to encourage development and promote ideas and thoughts
- Encourage participation
- Develop communication strategies
- Build confidence and self esteem
- Clarify/explain tutor instructions for learners
- Encourage concentration and focus
- Provide tutor with feedback on learning
- Supervise and support learners during the short break from formal learning in accordance with the tutor’s instructions
The team also deploy SLAs to support learners with additional needs enrolled on a course in other areas of the Service on a 1:1 basis. The role does not include personal care for learners.
This is a zero hours (bank) contract. The amount of work you are offered (during term time only) will depend on the current vacancy. There is no obligation on Surrey County Council as your employer to provide you with a guaranteed amount of work. A typical course will run for 2 hours per week over three 10-week terms. Please note that in some cases courses might not be viable due to low enrolments and may be cancelled.
- You will be able to manage your time effectively, as well as being able to work as part of a team contributing to class activities with a flexible and cooperative working style
- You will have experience of maintaining records and keeping systems up to date, alongside good IT skills
- You will have the ability to communicate effectively and politely, whilst being able to remain calm and confident in difficult situations
- You will have the ability to use your initiative to contribute to class activities appropriately, as well as being able to provide additional support and assistance to learners and to maintain confidentiality in and outside the workplace
The job advert closes at 23:59 on Tuesday 28th February 2023.
Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis, and suitable candidates will be contacted to arrange an interview.
For an informal discussion about the role please contact Curriculum Support by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and they will put you in touch with a member of the Supported Learning Team so that you can find out more about our current SLA requirements.
We look forward to receiving your application. Please click on the Apply Online button below to submit.
For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.