Job Title: Revenues and Benefits Assistant
Location of work: Town Hall
Salary: £20811 - £23529
Basis: Permanent, Full Time
Hours: 36 hours
About the Role
An exciting permanent opportunity has arisen to join a supportive, fun & friendly team within Revenues, Benefits and Fraud where you will be dealing directly with customers, indexing incoming correspondence, maintaining a valuables register and processing changes to Rent incomes, refunds and setting up new properties as well as sending reports to the Valuation Office.
You will receive on going support from a very experienced team.
To be considered for this role you must have a sound background, knowledge, and experience in NEC, Civica and BWO. You will be responsible for the following areas:
What you will do?
- Responding to Revenues and Benefits customers’ enquiries, by telephone, electronically, by post and in person
- Liaising with outside bodies/agencies including bailiffs, employers, CABs, debt advice centres, Help Points, landlords, agents, and internal departments including Finance and Legal, provide advice to customers
- Index all incoming correspondence for Revenues, Benefits and Housing on Document Imaging system
- Receive ‘Valuables’ and maintain register and ensure their safe return
- Amending customers’ Council Tax and Business Rates accounts, applying discounts and amending Benefit claims as appropriate, keeping accurate records of all enquiries.
- Negotiating and implementing payment arrangements with customers and/or their representatives in order to achieve in-year collection.
- Processing changes to rent and income for Benefit via the Revenues and Benefits system.
- Processing customers’ credit and debit card payments, refunds of overpaid Council Tax and Business Rates and reconciliation of Payments received between Finance and Revenues systems
What you will need?
- Experience of administration of Housing/Council Tax Benefit-E
- Experience of administration of Local Taxation-E
- Great verbal & written communication skills- E
- Ability to work well under pressure-E
- Microsoft and Excel office skills- E
- Knowledge of NEC, Civica and BWO - E
In exchange for your expertise, experience and enthusiasm, we will offer support in continuing your personal and career development, in addition to providing a wide range of employment linked benefits.
We provide you with competitive annual leave (pro rata) and contribute 15% towards the LGPS pension scheme. You will also have access to a range of discounts including local and high street stores, and salary sacrifice schemes including a cycle lease scheme, and ‘Better’ leisure centre membership.
If you are interested, please contact Michelle Parry on 01737 276247.
Closing date: 15/12/2022
Values and Behaviours
Our great working environment and the values and behaviours of every individual and team in the Council, help to evolve the culture of our organisation to become more commercial, innovative and embracing of change. Successful applicants to our career opportunities will be able to demonstrate they share the values and behaviours we seek in our organisation.
To find out ‘Who we are’ as a council please follow the link