Vacancy for Independent Member of the Audit Conduct Committee
The Council is looking for a local person, unaffiliated to the Council’s political groups and with no connection with the Council, to sit on our Audit Committee. The Audit Committee provides challenge and assurance on the Council’s control environment, mainly focusing on risk and financial issues, to support the Council in ensuring that it is well managed and able to deliver its priorities.
The Committee meets three times a year (usually a Thursday evening at 7pm). You will sit with elected councillors and bring an informed and independent perspective to the Committee.
This is a role which carries public responsibility. You should be a person with experience of working in an organisation at a senior level or have other experience which would give similar experiences. Financial management experience (accountancy, audit or management of a large budget) would be advantageous.
You will be appointed for a four year term and the position may be extended for a further 6 months to align to the municipal cycle.
In order to be eligible to apply for the position, applicants must not be:
- Be a councillor or officer of the Council or have been so in the preceding five years prior to appointment
- Be related to, or a close friend of, any councillor or officer of Spelthorne Borough Council.
- Have been convicted of any offence.
- Be an undischarged bankrupt
- Have significant business dealings with the Council
- Have a formal connection with any political group
- Have a proven history of vexatious and/or frivolous complaints against Spelthorne Borough Council
- Do not have council tax, business rates arrears or other outstanding debts owing to the Council
You will not be the holder of a significant office in an organisation being grant aided/supported by Spelthorne Borough Council. If you are interested in becoming an Independent Member of the Audit Committee, please apply by completing the application form.
There is an annual allowance of £500 for the role. You can also view an information pack about the role.
The closing date for applications is 5pm Friday 6 January 2023.
For more information or an informal discussion, please contact Farida Hussain, Group Head of Corporate Governance and Monitoring Officer on 01784 446248.