To train as a solicitor by working in at least three distinct areas of law, both in contentious and non-contentious areas of work, and to gain admittance to the role of solicitors. Supporting the Head of Legal Services and the director of Legal and Democratic Services to provide a comprehensive, efficient and effective service and assisting Legal Services with cases, providing support across the Council’s legal functions.
You will undertake a personal caseload appropriate to qualifications/experience and work independently and as part of a team to provide a high quality marketing communications service which meets Woking Borough Council’s corporate vision, priorities and objectives.
US - An Innovative, Proactive and Effective Council
We will look ahead and along with our partners seek opportunities to shape and improve the services provided to the community, by:
- communicating well, listening to the community and working with others to deliver services efficiently and effectively;
- developing the skills and behaviours of our employees and making the best use of resources (money, people, assets) to deliver services;
- giving clear messages about the boundaries within which we expect our employees to work, encouraging them to take ownership and empowering them to take measured risks when taking action or making decisions within those boundaries.
To carry out research and advise on all aspects of local government law and practice.
- To keep up to date with developments in all aspects of local government law.
- To undertake conveyancing of all kinds, including advice, acquisitions and disposals of land, the grant, taking and modification of leases, easements, licenses and wayleaves.
- To undertake work related to town and country planning matters including advice, the preparation of statements of evidence of planning appeals and enquiries, the preparation issue and services of orders and notices and the completion of planning agreements.
- To undertake the preparation of building and engineering agreements and other contracts.
- To undertake any work related to litigation in which the Council may become involved including the drafting of proceedings and obtaining evidence for proceedings in the Magistrates’ Court, County Court, the High Court and Employment Tribunals, instructing and attending upon Counsel and attending Court.
- To assist with the licensing functions of the Council and to give advice to members and officers.
- To assist with the corporate functions of the Council including advising on information and corporate law and to draft any documentation required.
- To attend such meetings including those of the Council, its Executive, Committees, Sub-committees and Panels as the Head of Democratic and Legal Services may require.
- To represent the Council Solicitor or a Principal Solicitor as required in proceedings, internal and external meetings and to establish good working relationships with other departments and outside bodies.
- To maintain a record of all training and development undertaken.
- To undertake such other tasks commensurate with the post holder’s experience and qualifications as may be allocated from time to time by the Director of Legal and Democratic Services.
This job description reflects the core activities of the post. As the service and the post-holder develop, there will inevitably be some changes to the duties for which the post is responsible, and possibly to the emphasis of the post itself. We expect that the post-holder will recognise this and will adopt a flexible approach to work. This could include undertaking relevant training where necessary.
The Director of Legal and Democratic Services will consult the post-holder if significant changes to the job description become necessary. Any changes will be reflected in a revised job description.
Closing date: Monday 30th January 2023
Interview date: Tuesday 7th February 2023
How to Apply
Woking Borough Council values a diverse workforce and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Please apply online via the link provided.