The starting salary for this role is £46,634 per annum, working 36 hours per week, with a flexible base / remote working (and some travel to/within Surrey).
Do you enjoy variety and making sense of abstract challenges?
Have a proven track record of developing innovative strategies in dynamic environments?
Get your energy from inspiring internal and external stakeholders to galvanise behind an idea?
Then we want to hear from you!
About the Corporate Strategy & Policy Team...
The CSP Team is situated at the heart of the Council and we work on a breadth of topics, projects and issues which are centred around delivering and advancing the 2030 Community Vision. From skills to sustainability, poverty eradication to living well in elderly years, and promoting international investment to supporting mental health, there's no policy topic we do not engage and no strategy we don't keep on track.
We work in collaboration with colleagues across every service area of the council and manage the Council's relationships and advocacy with external partners at a local, regional and national level.
About the role...
In this role you can expect to develop the Council’s strategy and work in diverse policy areas to help develop thinking, recommendations, proposals and solutions to the trickiest local and national problems. You will play a key role in shaping the future of the council; helping to set its strategic direction and designing innovative new approaches to assist services in delivering on the council’s ambitions more efficiently and transparently.
You will need to maintain an understanding of the broader policy and political context for your work, building relationships with colleagues in the Communications Team and Leadership Office to support effective stakeholder engagement, including supporting and briefing senior officers and politicians.
In return, the work of the CSP team promises plenty of autonomy, collaborative working, and personal stretch aligned to individual development goals. You will grow new skills and lead projects that engage strategy and policy at a national, regional and local level.
- a creative problem-solver, ready to generate new ideas and insights
- an enthusiastic relationship builder, both with the teams you will work with and external stakeholders with competing interests
- maintaining high-level thinking on strategic direction to stimulate and drive debates with operational experts
- a skilled communicator, confident with senior decision-makers
- able to distil research and complex ideas into briefs, articles, and policy recommendations for both expert and non-specialised audiences
- quick study of technical detail within policy and legislation, with an excellent grasp of public policy sensitivities
To be shortlisted to interview for this position your application will clearly evidence:
- Experience of working with policy in a public sector, third sector, or consultancy capacity
- An ability to independently devise and plan a strategy to achieve objectives with imperfect information
- A proficiency for developing mutually productive relationships with stakeholders to deliver positive outcomes
At Surrey, our values and behaviours are just as important as our skills and abilities. They shape who we are as an organisation. Find out more about the values we follow.Additional Information
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 09/09/2022.
Interviews will take place week commencing 19/09/2022.
For an informal discussion please contact James Ashton-Bell on e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to receiving your application, please click on the apply online button below to submit.
From flexible working to job sharing (where possible) we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. A laptop and mobile will be supplied if applicable to your role. You will benefit from 26 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years' service, a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme. For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.