We are looking to recruit a highly motivated and enthusiastic accommodation officer to join our Specialist Homelessness and Housing Options Team.
This is a full time fixed term position for 2 years funded by the Homelessness Prevention Grant.
The role will work primarily alongside the Specialist Private Sector Officer. You will bring your experience of building great relationships and forming better communication lines between the Borough Council and lettings agents / landlords in Guildford and surrounding areas. You will be arranging visits /meetings with local landlords and agents, viewing properties and attending inspections.
You will support the Homelessness Prevention team to secure alternative accommodation for both single people and families in temporary accommodation.
Your main duties will be :
- To increase access to private rented and alternative accommodation for people in housing need, particularly those is B&B
- To promote the Homes4U rent deposit scheme to landlords/lettings agents and prospective tenants
- Develop close links and joint working arrangements with private sector landlords and lettings agents and other providers
- To provide advice to customers to enable them to secure and maintain private rented tenancies
- Introducing applicants to landlords with a view to securing accommodation by; arranging and completing accompanied viewings, negotiating rent levels with landlords/lettings agents, ensuring close liaison with Universal Credit/Housing Benefits so that any entitlement has been assessed.
At a minimum, you will be able to demonstrate:
- Proven and well experienced in private sector property management and lettings
- Have experience of providing housing advice in respect of security of tenure, tenant responsibility and Landlord safety responsibilities.
- Ability to travel to locations which are not accessible via public transport (car user essential)
- Experience of supporting customers to maximise their income and apply for welfare benefits
- Flexible approach with a can do attitude
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with people at all levels
- Good organisational skills with the ability to take the initiative
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Remain calm when things don’t go to plan
A basic DBS check will be required for the successful applicant prior to appointment.
For an informal discussion after 24 July 2022 about the role please contact John Baldwin on 01483 444245 or Sue Ruffle 01482 444258.