The starting salary for this role is £30,273 per annum, working 36 hours per week.
Surrey County Council is the Highway Authority for the County of Surrey. It is responsible for the management of risk from some 2 million trees and monitoring their condition adjacent to and on the highway. Cyclical planned inspections are undertaken over the entire highway network of the County.
Some of our key aims of the Service include:
- Delivering specialist inspections over three and five year cycles aimed at maintaining a safe highway
- Aligning priorities with risk from actionable defects.
- Creating accurate records of inspection to service defect life cycles.
- Engage with suppliers in delivering works safely in line with specifications.
Surrey County Council spends around £1.4 million per year on managing risk from Highway trees. It is reputed to be the most densely wooded county in Southern England with some of the busiest roads outside of London. Responsibility for Surrey Highways resides within the Environment, Transport and Infrastructure Directorate. The current financial climate means that it is imperative to align finances with a risk focused approach, whilst being aware of the limitations under which the Council delivers a tree maintenance service given the scale of task.
We are looking for a Survey Technician with sufficient experience to deliver specialist inspections with minimal supervision and assist other staff with general tree related enquiries by providing professional advice. This will include using a bespoke tree management system to record and monitor tree defects and manage our highway assets. The post will be involved in working closely with our appointed suppliers and managing on-the-job enquiries to ensure decisions are aligned with service priorities as works progress.
To manage this key area of work, we are looking for someone to support the Team Manager in duties assigned to the post holder not wholly or limited to the above overview. To be shortlisted for interview your CV and personal statement will clearly evidence:
- Comprehensive working knowledge of tree species, defects and disorders found in the UK
- Ability to recognise and grade out risk priorities, ideally with LANTRA Professional Tree Inspector and Level 4 in Arboriculture or desire and ability to work towards the qualification.
- Knowledge of the legislative framework for management of trees for Highway Authorities
- Knowledge of monitoring or auditing highway tree works
- Experience of working on the highway with regards to personal safety and that of road users
- Working knowledge of Tomography and Digital Resistograph equipment
Flexible working is supported where possible, including working from home or from one of our area offices in Guildford (Merrow). The majority of this role is spent on the highway and surveying trees.
At Surrey, our values and behaviours are just as important as our skills and abilities. They shape who we are as an organisation. Find out more about the values we follow.Additional Information
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 15th July 2022.
Interviews will take place week commencing 18th July 2022.
For an informal discussion please contact Helen Currie on 07968832589 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to receiving your application, please click on the apply online button below to submit.
From flexible working to job sharing (where possible) we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. A laptop and mobile will be supplied if applicable to your role. You will benefit from 26 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years' service, a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme. For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.