The asset team at Guildford Borough Council has a position available for a motivated and proactive individual with excellent skills to assist and lead the Council on its investment property management portfolio. You will be adept in seeking opportunities to improve the Council’s asset base and work together with others in the team to encourage manage landlord and tenant relationships and improve property income.
The Council holds an extensive commercial investment property fund valued at over £150 million that comprises the principal commercial property sectors: office, retail, industrial and alternatives (hotels, car showrooms, petrol stations, leisure, etc.). Alongside this, the Council is currently delivering an exciting redevelopment project on one of its industrial estates with ambitions to continue similar construction-led programmes across the remaining existing assets.
The Asset and Property Manager will be responsible for running the portfolio, leading a small team of surveyors with a responsibility to maximise performance, generate income growth through rental increases, refurbishments, active asset management and new lettings. Whilst our preference would be to employ someone with comparable property and line-management experience, we are open to hearing from applicants who are seeking to progress into such a role.
What you'll do on a typical day:
- Lead a small team responsible for all aspects of property and asset management to maximise value and income. This includes lettings, rent reviews, lease renewals, budget management, management of service charge accounts on properties within the portfolio including preparation and reconciliation of service charge budgets
- Provide leadership, oversight, support and advice to surveyors in the team
- Develop the Council’s property investment strategy and put in place procedures and protocols to improve the efficient management of the fund
- Review key assets to improve performance, potential savings and deliverability through disposing, improving, developing and/or acquiring assets
- Lead property acquisition and disposal transactions either directly or through appointed consultants
- Collaborate with service teams and corporate programme delivery team as specialist advisor on redevelopment opportunities
- Communicate with key councillors to ensure clear understanding of any proposed changes to assets
- Work with the Head and Deputy Head of Asset Management on the Council's capital and investment strategy, including the preparation of any reports or briefings on projects
- Monitor the performance of the fund in liaison with Council's corporate governance team
What you need to succeed in this role:
At a minimum, you will be able to demonstrate:
- Education to degree level in Estate Management or an equivalent subject, and qualified member of the RICS (MRICS/FRICS)
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong experience in asset management and managing a large property portfolio
- Experience of leading or managing a team
- Proven responsibility for overseeing budgets and service expenditure
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with various stakeholders at all levels
- Experience of working collaboratively with internal and external clients
- Skills in project delivery and strategic planning in relation to property
- Experience of leading property acquisition and disposal transactions
- Experience of appraising assets against strategic and commercial targets
- Experience of developing and writing business cases, producing reports and presenting clear information to others verbally and in writing
- Conscientious attitude and attention to detail
- Strong knowledge of relevant legislation and health and safety within Asset Management
- Excellent IT skills and understanding of any relevant asset management IT tools is desirable
- Experience of working within a local authority is desirable
What's in it for you?
We are a diverse organisation delivering a wide range of services and employing people with an even broader range of skills. We want to attract the best, so we provide excellent training opportunities, including support towards professional qualifications. We also offer well established flexible working arrangements including the ability to vary your start and finish times, and work from home on occasion. We also offer many other benefits including health and wellbeing initiatives, an employee assistance programme and discount off a range of well-known high street shops and supermarkets.
We offer a good range of benefits and facilities which include:
- Competitive Salary
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Local Government pension scheme (defined benefits scheme)
- Confidential Employee Advice and Support Programme
- Flexible Working Scheme and the ability to accrue 2 additional days flexi leave a month
Guildford is a regional centre for leisure, business, education, shopping and culture set in beautiful countryside that includes the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Guildford is a thriving market town and is a principal shopping destination with a vibrant night-time economy. The town's geographical location provides excellent transport links in all directions, London is just 30 minutes away on the train and the town is well-served by frequent bus routes and subsidised Park and Ride facilities. All of this contributes to a quality of life that attracts many people to live, work in and visit Guildford.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and post-holders to share this commitment. To fulfil this commitment, we have robust systems in place for the safe recruitment of staff and volunteers.
To apply for this exciting opportunity please click here. For more information or an informal chat please contact Shivani Poonja at Shivani.Poonja@penna.com or 07709 509 097.