We are seeking a committed and enthusiastic individual to join us at the Surrey Virtual School (SVS) team as a PEP (Personal Education Plan) Administrator. This opportunity is offered as a fixed term contract to cover maternity leave within the service.
Surrey Virtual School (SVS)
SVS works with schools, social workers, carers and a range of services to help improve the educational experiences and outcomes of children and young people in the care of Surrey. A ‘Virtual School’ is a way of bringing together the educational information about children and young people who are cared for by the local authority as if they were a single school – no matter where in the country they may live. Each Virtual School has a Headteacher and together with the team, supports and challenges to ensure children and young people looked after are prioritised within all education services, in line with our shared corporate parent duty. You can learn more about SVS by visiting our website.
You would be joining a strong and stable team of professionals who are totally committed to improving educational experiences and outcomes of children and young people in the care of Surrey. An overview of the current team, their roles and what they enjoy and value most about being part of SVS can be found in our new school brochure.
We work together with schools, carers, social workers and a range of other stakeholders and professionals to improve outcomes in line with our statutory duty and role as educational advocates of children looked after. The Surrey Virtual School has been on a development journey following the 2018 inspection of children’s services (ILACS) and has secured significant improvements across a number of key areas, particularly the quality and timeliness of personal education plans (PEPs), better school attendance and reducing the number of children awaiting a school place. We aim to have an aspirational and outstanding Surrey Virtual School to promote and support the education of our care experienced children and young people.
This is a 9 to12 month fixed term contract or secondment to backfill one of our ‘PEP Co-ordinator/Administrative Officer roles whilst the current post holder is on a fixed term contract maternity cover in a different role.
The PEP Administrator role is one of three in the Virtual School which sits within the SVS Business Manager’s part of the team. The role is a busy one where you will be working at pace to deliver excellent quality support across our Virtual School team, ensuring systems and processes are smooth and effective, particularly those associated with the Personal Education Plans (PEPs) of children in care.
The post holder should have:
- A shared commitment to the core aim of Surrey Virtual School to improve the educational experiences and outcomes of children in care and enthusiasm for the work we do
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to deliver customer service to a high standard both within and outside the Virtual School team
- Good organisation and time management skills, able to manage a busy workload and prioritise tasks effectively
- Ability to deliver a range of business support tasks such as minute taking, diary management, preparation of agendas and other documents and adding content to our SVS website created by team members, taking account of accessibility requirements running reports from our various databases, dealing with queries by email or telephone from a range of stakeholders including Social Workers, teachers, finance colleagues and our external business partners.
- Proficiency in a range of Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel. Knowledge of systems such as LCS and Capita One used by Surrey also advantageous, however full training will be provided
- An understanding of Personal Education Planning for looked after children and young people is advantageous, however full training will be provided
- A positive, can do attitude with a commitment to teamworking
To be shortlisted to interview for this position your application will clearly evidence the areas outlined above together with:
- Experience of working in a business support role
For more information please find the full job description below and refer to this before submitting your application. We also invite you to read our Life at Surrey handbook to see insights of the culture at Surrey and how as a valued employee, you can help shape our Council.Additional Information
For an informal discussion please contact Liz Stanbridge by e-mail at Liz.Stanbridge@surreycc.gov.uk. We look forward to receiving your application.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 14.04.2021.
Shortlisting will follow and interviews are scheduled for the afternoon of Tuesday 20th April.
Please note, although the administrative work-base for this role is Quadrant Court, Woking we are committed to providing an agile working environment.
From flexible working to job sharing (where possible) we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. A laptop and mobile will be supplied if applicable to your role. You will benefit from 26 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years’ service, a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme. For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.
An enhanced DBS ‘Disclosure and Barring Service’ check for regulated activity (formerly known as CRB) and the Children’s and Adults’ Barred List checks will be required for this role.Company Information
Our values are what support our vision, shape the culture and are crucial in delivering our corporate strategy.