Libraries and Cultural Services Transformation
The Libraries and Cultural Services Transformation programme is a key part of Surrey County Council’s (SCC) wider, ambitious programme of transformation across many of its services to meet the needs of Surrey residents and provide greater value for money. It supports SCC’s ‘empowering communities’ agenda, which seeks to encourage local engagement and involvement in the design and delivery of local services. In 2019 a Library and Cultural Services Strategy for 2020–2025 was published which set out the ambition for these services and the need to adapt our services to meet people’s changing needs.
We require an experienced Senior Programme Manager to drive the delivery of the programme, ensuring that it delivers the required outcomes on time and to budget. The role will also be responsible for aligning the programme with both operational and strategic priorities as well as promoting and communicating the benefits to senior stakeholders, Members and the Corporate Leadership Team.
Through the programme we seek to develop modern, inclusive library and cultural services that build strong relationships with our communities and put the needs of our residents at the centre of everything we do.
The ambitions of the programme are to:
- Improve the user experience through being more innovative and creating more inviting, flexible and accessible spaces
- Provide a more inclusive, relevant service to meet the diverse needs of everyone who lives, works and studies in Surrey
- Ensure there are the right skills, knowledge and capability to enable the library service to provide a high-quality, modern service
We are looking for people with:
- Extensive strategic programme management experience with the ability to connect across the organisation to meet the ambitions of the programme within timescales
- Experience of delivering large scale complex programmes, working with both strategic and operational stakeholders to facilitate service design and business change activities
- Experience defining complex transformation programmes and/or managing programme turnaround of struggling programmes
- Strong organisational and business change skills - to ensure highly effective and robust governance, planning, reporting and financial monitoring arrangements
- An adaptive flexible approach with the ability to take a “hands on” programme management experience where necessary
- Experience and / or knowledge of Library and Cultural Services sector is desirable
Experience and/or knowledge of Local Authority service delivery and of library or cultural services would be desirable. We are not looking for a subject matter expert or service manager – we want to hear from professional programme managers who relish a challenge and are interested in helping us transform library or cultural services in Surrey.
The role is a 12 month maternity cover and is offered as a secondment or fixed term contract. The salary is £61,463 and is accompanied by a generous holiday and benefits package. Please note, it is policy for new employees to commence at the beginning of the relevant salary range with limited exceptions. The role is scoped as full time, but we would encourage individuals with flexible working requirements to apply.
The role will be formally based in Reigate. However, during the Covid19 restrictions, homeworking is in place and post Covid19 the proposal is to retain an agile workforce approach, including home working and flexible use of local offices in Surrey. We will make sure you have everything in place to do this effectively, including training in Microsoft Teams.
If you are a driven, enthusiastic and ambitious programme manager then we want to hear from you!
For more information, please find the full job description attached below.Additional Information
For an informal discussion please contact Rupa Parmar, Transformation Portfolio Lead - People by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications on our online portal is 23:59 on 9th April 2021. Please apply by uploading your CV and personal statement outlining your suitability. We look forward to receiving your application.
From flexible working to job sharing (where possible) we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. A laptop and mobile will be supplied if applicable to your role. You will benefit from 26 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years’ service, a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme. For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all underrepresented groups.Company Information
Our values are what support our vision, shape the culture and are crucial in delivering our corporate strategy.