Are you a pro-active, motivated and confident individual who is seeking a challenging role with good career prospects? If the answer is “yes” then we’d like to hear from you to.
The Council holds an extensive commercial investment property fund, that generates a significant income revenue used to fund a variety of activities across the Council. Alongside this, the Council is currently in the midst of delivering an exciting construction led development project, that will complement our existing assets.
Our c.£150 million investment Property Fund comprises the principal commercial property sectors: office, retail, industrial and alternatives (hotels, car showrooms, petrol stations, leisure, etc.) and aims to provide a high and secure level of income with the prospect of income growth and to maintain the capital value of the properties held in the Fund.
We are seeking an Asset and Property Manager to lead a small team managing the Council’s property investment fund with a responsibility to maximise the performance of the Council’s strong property investment portfolio, generate income growth through rental increases, refurbishments, active asset management and new lettings, as well as investing in a diversified commercial property portfolio.
What you’ll do on a typical day:
- Lead a small team responsible for all aspects of property and asset management in order to maximise value and income. This includes lettings, rent reviews, lease renewals, budget management, management of service charge accounts on properties within the portfolio including preparation and reconciliation of service charge budgets
- Provide leadership, oversight, support and advice to the Property & Asset Managers
- Develop appropriate Council strategies in relation to the Council’s property investment portfolio and put in place procedures and protocols to improve the efficient management of the fund
- Review in greater detail key assets to provide improved performance or potential savings to be made and deliverability where such projects would involve disposing, improving, developing and/or acquiring assets
- Lead on key property acquisition and disposal transactions either directly or through appointed consultants
- Collaborate with service teams and the corporate programme delivery team as specialist advisor whilst maintaining communication with key councillors to ensure clear understanding of any proposed changes to assets
- Work with the Head and Deputy Head of Asset Management to develop and coordinate an action plan to inform the Council's capital and investment strategy, including the preparation of any reports or briefings on projects
- Monitor the performance of the fund in liaison with Council’s corporate governance teamAt a minimum, you will be able to demonstrate:
What you need to succeed in this role:
- Education to degree level in Estate Management or an equivalent subject, and a qualified member of the RICS (MRICS/FRICS)
- Strong leadership skills and high levels of commercialism
- Strong experience in Asset Management and managing a large property portfolio
- Proven responsibility for overseeing budgets and service expenditure
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with various stakeholders at all levels and experience of working collaboratively with internal and external clients
- Strong skills in project delivery and strategic planning in relation to property
- Experience of leading property acquisition and disposal transactions
- Proven experience of appraising assets against strategic and commercial targets
- Proven experience of developing and writing business cases, producing reports and presenting clear information to others verbally and in writing
- Conscientious attitude and attention to detail
- Strong knowledge of relevant legislation and health and safety within Asset Management
- Excellent IT skills and understanding of any relevant asset management IT tools is desirable
- Experience of working within a local authority is also desirable
What’s in it for you?
We are a diverse organisation delivering a wide range of services and employing people with an even broader range of skills. We want to attract the best, so we provide excellent training opportunities, including support towards professional qualifications. We also offer well established flexible working arrangements including the ability to vary your start and finish times, and work from home on occasion. We also offer many other benefits including health and wellbeing initiatives, an employee assistance programme and discount off a range of well-known high street shops and supermarkets.
- Competitive Salary
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Local Government pension scheme (defined benefits scheme)
- Confidential Employee Advice and Support Programme
- Flexible Working Scheme and the ability to accrue 2 additional days flexi leave a month
A basic DBS check will be required for the successful applicant prior to appointment.