This is an opportunity to join a dynamic and innovative team that work closely together to determine best ways of working. This is a senior position in our Street Works Compliance Team and will require extensive and up to date knowledge of street works legislation and the codes of practice that cover safety at street works and the technical reinstatement requirements.
Surrey County Council also operate a Lane Rental Scheme on the most traffic sensitive sections of the network and this role will play a major part in the monitoring and pre-works planning of any works on these roads.
As part of the team you will also assist the Street Works Compliance Team Leader with escalation matters and other Street Works Officers to continually assess current ways of working and to determine if these can be improved.
Surrey County Council’s Street Works Team manage the activities of statutory undertakers and Surrey’s own contractors working on the highway network. The Street Works Compliance Team’s role is primarily to monitor the performance of the statutory undertakers. This will include working closely with the Street Works Coordination Team to ensure that utility works are completed expediently and with the minimum disruption to highway users and residents.
You will conduct site inspections to ensure that Streetworks and Roadwork activities on the public highway are completed in a safe and effective manner in accordance with any conditions placed upon the permit for each activity and that the reinstatement of the highway is completed in accordance with the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA) and associated Codes of Practice, as amended by the Traffic Management Act 2004 (TMA) and the South East Permit scheme within Surrey. This contributes to the key Local Transport Plan objective of reducing congestion and ensuring the best possible service to all highway users.
To apply and be considered for this position, your application will clearly evidence:
- Relevant experience of working in a Street Works environment
- New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) Supervisor accreditation
- Extensive experience of operational and administrative NRSWA & TMA activities
- Enhanced knowledge of the Specification for the Reinstatement of Openings in the Highway (SRoH)
- A working knowledge of the range of relevant principles, practices, and procedures relating to highway maintenance and construction
- Technical knowledge of relevant legislation especially Highways Act, Traffic Signs Regulations, Road Traffic Act, Health & Safety At Work Act and the application of the legislation when making decisions about works proceeding on the highway
- Enhanced knowledge and practice of current site safety procedures and guidance, as well as temporary traffic management, is essential
- Experience of collating data and preparing reports. Knowledge and practice of current site safety procedures and guidance, as well as temporary traffic management, is essential
At Surrey, our values and behaviours are just as important as our skills and abilities. They shape who we are as an organisation. Find out more about the values we follow.
For more information please find the full job description attached below. Please ensure you refer to this before you submit your application.Additional Information
For an informal discussion please contact Michael Coombes on 07815 439424 or by e-mail at Michael.email@example.com.
We look forward to receiving your application.
The job advert closes at 23:59 on 07/03/2021 with interviews to follow.
From flexible working to job sharing (where possible) we are committed to providing a healthy work life balance. A laptop and mobile will be supplied if applicable to your role. You will benefit from 26 days annual leave, rising to 28 days after 2 years’ service, a generous local government salary related pension, as well as the option to join our car lease scheme. For more information about the wide variety of benefits you can take advantage of please visit MyBenefits for Surrey County Council staff.
Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We want to be an inclusive and diverse employer of first choice reflecting the community we serve and particularly welcome applications from all under represented groups.Company Information
Our values are what support our vision, shape the culture and are crucial in delivering our corporate strategy.