We have an exciting opportunity within Case Services for a Private Rented Sector - Housing Options Case Officer to join the Resident Support Team. Working primarily within the Housing Needs service you will be a key member of the front -line team responsible for meeting our statutory responsibilities to people in housing need, threatened with or experiencing homelessness. You will take a lead in developing effective relationships with landlords operating in the private rented sector
The Post is a Level 2 (TA2) grade. Applicants should demonstrate how they meet the requirements of the Role Specification at that level.
- Promote the Council’s Private Sector Access Scheme amongst landlords and letting agents; facilitating the recruitment of new landlords and the procurement of additional properties.
- Assist people in housing need to access and sustain accommodation in the private rented sector, liaising with the homelessness prevention service when matching suitable clients to available properties.
- Negotiate with landlords over terms of tenancy and ensure that all properties meet current health and safety and legal requirements
- Arrange and where required attend viewings of properties, arrange inventories, check-ins and check-outs with landlords and tenants.
- Assist customers to complete and update Housing Benefit and Universal Credit applications and work with the relevant Benefit Team to ensure the smooth processing of customers applications
- Be responsible for the financial administration of the Private Sector Access Scheme.
- Mediate between tenants and their landlords within the Private Sector Access Scheme and provide advice and assistance to both parties regarding tenancy and management issues.
The ideal applicant
- Will have an excellent understanding of Landlord and Tenant legislation in relation to the private rented sector
- Will have hands on experience of providing advice and support to both tenants and landlords within the private rented sector
- Will have practical experience of working with homeless households, including vulnerable people and an understanding of the challenges they face including welfare reform and affordability.
To succeed, you will need to be committed to the delivery of excellent customer focussed service, resourceful and flexible in your approach and have a willingness to take ownership of cases seeing them through to a successful conclusion. You will have excellent communication and inter-personal skills, be well organised, have an eye for detail, and the ability to use initiative and creativity to solve challenging problems.