Are you a pro-active, motivated and confident individual who is seeking a challenging role with good career prospects? If the answer is “yes” then we’d like to hear from you to ‘kick start’ our new Climate Change and sustainable energy management programme.
On 23 July 2019, the Council adopted a motion to declare a Climate Emergency. In line with the commitments set out in this motion, you will work with the Head of Asset Management (Climate Change Lead), Energy Strategy Manager, our Lead Member for Climate Change and other colleagues, partner organisations and key stakeholders on the development, delivery and promotion of climate change policies and projects for Guildford Borough and the Council.
What’s in it for you?
We are a diverse organisation delivering a wide range of services and employing people with an even broader range of skills. We want to attract the best so we provide excellent training opportunities, including support towards professional qualifications. We also offer well established flexible working arrangements including the ability to vary your start and finish times, and work from home on occasion. We also offer many other benefits including health and wellbeing initiatives, an employee assistance programme and discount off a range of well known high street shops and supermarkets.
What you’ll do on a typical day:
- Work on preparing policies and strategies for climate change and sustainable energy management in liaison with key stakeholders and monitor and report on progress made towards achievement of these.
- You will prepare business cases and project initiation documents for climate change and sustainability schemes and manage project delivery where appropriate.
- Work with our Energy Strategy Manager to develop and coordinate the action plan required to address the Council's Climate Emergency declaration, including the preparation of any reports or briefings on CO2 and GHG emissions and preparing a detailed baseline regarding building energy performance within the Council-owned buildings. You will help to coordinate and liaise with key stakeholders in the specifying and commissioning of an Energy Delivery Framework and emissions trajectory for the Borough.
- You will work in partnership and maintain excellent working relationships with key stakeholders, including other local authorities, to identify, develop and deliver appropriate models for schools, businesses and local communities to deliver CO2 reductions and behavioural change.
- Answer queries from borough residents, partners, elected members and other key stakeholders and provide appropriate input to any panels or forums to engage residents and other stakeholders on climate change.
What you need to succeed in this role:
At a minimum, you will be able to demonstrate:
- Up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation, working practices and methodologies and professional expertise relating to climate change
- Experience in producing and implementing policies and strategies
- Experience of translating changes in policy direction into action plans
- Experience of working in and developing partnerships with external bodies
- Highly organised with the ability to work effectively under pressure, prioritise and meet deadlines
- Proven experience in driving quality services and improving desired results
- Proven experience in being able to interpret data to produce reports presenting clear information to others verbally and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with people at all levels.
- Conscientious attitude and attention to detail
- A good standard of numeracy and literacy
- IT skills
It would be great if you also have:
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good organisational skills with the ability to take the initiative
- Experience of working with systems relevant to delivery areas
A basic DBS check will be required for the successful applicant prior to appointment.
Guildford is a regional centre for leisure, business, education, shopping and culture set in beautiful countryside that includes the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Guildford is a thriving market town and is a principal shopping destination with a vibrant night time economy. The town’s geographical location provides excellent transport links in all directions, London is just 30 minutes away on the train and the town is well-served by frequent bus routes and subsidised Park and Ride facilities. All of this contributes to a quality of life that attracts many people to live, work in and visit Guildford.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and post-holders to share this commitment. To fulfil this commitment we have robust systems in place for the safe recruitment of staff and volunteers.
How to Apply
Our preferred method is online application however if you do require a hard copy application pack please contact Human Resources, Guildford Borough Council, Millmead, Guildford GU2 4BB. Telephone (01483) 444111 (24-hr). Alternatively e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the relevant post number. Please note that we do not accept CVs, please ensure that you complete the application form fully. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and post-holders to share this commitment. To fulfil this commitment we have robust systems in place for the safe recruitment of staff and volunteers. Follow us on Twitter @GuildfordBC