Planning Policy Technician
Permanent, full time
Salary: £23,019 - £26,624 per annum
To articulate the council’s priorities, develop strategies to deliver these priorities and communicate them effectively to key stakeholders.
- Work with Members to articulate and update performance against the corporate plan of the council
- Ensuring an effective strategy and policy framework that underpins the corporate plan
- Delivering the Local Plan as a core component of strategy, developing a framework for the use of land which delivers against the corporate plan
- Accountability for developing and maintaining suitable strategic partnerships that deliver on our shared priorities and target outcomes
- Prioritise the needs of the borough, and engaging with internal and external customers through the most effective channel
- To provide all necessary administrative support to the planning policy team on preparation of the Guildford Local Plan and associated documents and related matters, working to relevant timetables and within the context of the legislative framework, service plan objectives and Council policy.
- To provide general day to day support and cover for planning policy enquiries by telephone, email and in person.
- To monitor and allocate enquiries received to the planning policy email inbox. To support planning policy consultations, including the inputting of responses, setting up and maintaining all consultation databases and making contributions (as appropriate) to the analysis and reporting of information.
- To help train and supervise temporary staff assisting with the consultation responses as appropriate.
- To provide administrative and research support (as appropriate) to assist preparation of local plan documents, detailed research studies, planning briefs and other non-statutory planning guidance, and other planning policy work areas, as necessary.
- To take accurate notes during meetings, examinations, consultation and other events and to review, report, update and maintain well organised paper files, electronic records and scanning processes supporting the Local Plan and other planning policy work.
- To provide administrative support to assist the preparation and presentation of professional and procedural planning policy advice, information reports, presentations and training material and recommendations to the Council, relevant committees and working groups, elected Councillors, consultants, staff and the public at meetings and events.This will include providing administrative support for the preparation and presentation of planning policy advice, responses and evidence to and on behalf of the Council for planning appeal inquiries, examinations in public and equivalent forums, in relation to relevant national, regional, sub-regional, county and local planning processes.
- To provide administrative support to the ongoing monitoring, review and implementation of the Guildford Local Plan policies proposals and research, employing and improving upon relevant technology, data collection/survey and research practices including site inspections.
- To effectively communicate, explain, engage and coordinate relevant administrative work areas within Planning Service and to other Council services, key external stakeholders and communities including attending meetings, assisting consultations and associated events, processing and analysing responses, allocating development control consultations and ensuring up to date planning policy information is on the Councils website.
- To prepare maps and diagrams to support the Local Plan and planning policy work.
- To assist with work across the Council on corporate initiatives as appropriate, including involvement in service and inter-service working groups.
- To engage with, and represent the Council in, relevant internal and external networks and working groups, within the county or region, where beneficial to individual or priority team work areas.
- To attend appropriate meetings when required.
- To undertake any other duties as may be reasonably requested by Management commensurate with the grade.
A basic DBS check will be required for the successful candidate prior to appointment.
Closing date for applications – Tuesday 12 November 2019