Groundsperson/Gravedigger (Bereavement Services Operations Officer) x 2
Permanent, Full time
We are looking for two pro-active, motivated and confident individuals who are looking to make a difference providing a compassionate service to the bereaved.
About us Guildford’s bereavement service looks after two cemeteries, Guildford crematorium and eight closed churchyards. We are a small dynamic team who manage all the burial, cremations and related appointments for the borough. We are looking for two grounds persons/ gravediggers to work within the service. This role attracts a salary range of £21,599 - £23,851 per annum depending on experience and an annual leave entitlement of 22 days per annum plus Bank Holidays. Full Lantra certificated training will be given on a wide range of machinery will be offered.
What you’ll do on a typical day:
- You would be working at one of the council’s two cemeteries (Stoke cemetery at Stoughton Road/the Mount Cemetery Guildford) or at the crematorium on New Pond Road maintaining the grounds at these sites including mowing, strimming, weeding and litter picking
- Preparation of grave plots and undertaking burials in accordance with all relevant procedures.
- Interacting with funeral directors, stonemasons and the bereaved and assisting with enquiries from the public.
- Assisting occasionally with cleaning duties ( i.e. the chapels) if required
- Assisting with relevant deliveries i.e. transporting fuel, grave shoring etc. between sites.
- Occasional cover for the cremator technician which will involve operation of the cremators (Full certificated training will be given).
What you need to succeed in this role:
At a minimum, you will be able to demonstrate:
- A proactive approach, with good administrative skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in dealing with people at all levels
- Conscientious attitude and attention to detail
- Strong commitment to undertake relevant training
- Ability to follow written procedures and service standards
- An understanding of the needs of the bereaved and ability to act accordingly
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good organisational skills with the ability to take the initiative.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Paul Fricker Bereavement Services Senior Operations Officer on 07967018946.
Please note previous applicants need not apply.
Closing date: 9am on 19 September 2019
Interview date: week commencing 23 September 2019